Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Interview of Magnus Carlsen

NDTV'S Sam Daniel caught up with newly-crowned world chess champion Magnus Carlsen, who didn't let India's Viswanathan Anand win a single game in the 2013 world championships in Chennai. Carlsen clinched his maiden world title on Friday (Nov 22) with two games to spare in the 12-round championship as the 22-year-old Norwegian was the first to reach 6.5 points. Winless Anand, the defending champions, finished with 3.5 points
Sam Daniel: Your father told us now that you have won the championship, life will return to normal in Norway? Has that happened? Or is Norway still celebrating?
Magnus Carlsen: I think there was great interest in Norway during the world championship. A lot of people who have never watched or played chess were following the game intently. It's absolutely wonderful to see the interest, and I think it's going to last
SD: What kind of celebrations do you think are planned for you back home?
MC: I don't know what celebrations are there or whether there will be any at all. It will be interesting to see what they have planned.



SD: It's been more than two days since you won the world crown. How did you celebrate?
MC: I didn't do much, we had a gathering with my team and sponsors, it was very nice.
SD: When you started off, did you think it would be such a one-sided affair?
MC: I certainly hoped it would be one-sided. The start was tough for me, the first two-three games Anand was tough to play, he had a few chances and I was nervous no doubt. But Game 3 onwards I settled in, and from there on, I went on to do exactly what was needed.
SD: Many say it's the end of an era in chess, or do you think it will be the beginning of a new one?
MC: Maybe a little bit of both. Anand is a legend of the game. By playing him so many times over the years and by training with him on several occasions, I have gained a lot of knowledge on how high his standards are. I hope he still has the interest and passion to make a comeback.
SD: Anything you like about India or Chennai in particular, you have been here for two weeks.
MC: The hospitality and the way we have been treated, both me and my team, my family, the way we have been made to feel at home, It's something I have never experienced in any chess tournament before.
SD: Any particular kind of food that you like here?
MC: I like Indian food, specially the spicy stuff.
SD: Chess champion, model, any chance to see you in Hollywood?

MC: No! Not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment